Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

New Eyes in Sham Shui Po

This trip to Sham Shui Po,
my favorite shopping spot in Hong Kong,
was MUCH different than the rest.


A group of us, from our Church Branch,
attended a service project there and
I came home with NEW EYES.


We made our way from the 
MTR (Subway) Station 


to the Nam Chueng Community Center.


There we went through a 30 min. orientation,
ALL IN CHINESE.
I knew what they were saying was very
important so I had one of the girls in our
group translate after.


We would be visiting the homes 
of some of the needy members of
the community.  Our main purposes in 
visiting were to assess their needs and
let them know the community center was
available to them for support.
We were to be positive and helpful.


We wore name-tags to identify us as volunteers.


These were the food bags we delivered.
Canned veggies, noodles and toothpaste.


The streets I was used to shopping on 
were now places where people lived.
Very SMALL, NARROW, OLD places.


We visited three homes -
Home #1 - A little elderly lady, homebound 
with cancer that had spread to her hips so she 
couldn't walk.

Home #2 - An unemployed gentleman living
in a room the size of our bathroom.
He shared a kitchen, with a tiny sink and
one tiny propane burner for cooking,
and a bathroom with EIGHT people.

Home #3 - An 83 year old man
who didn't leave his apartment much
because he lived on the 5th floor and had
to go down, and then climb back up, 
ninety steep and narrow steps.


My shopping excursions to Sham Shui Po,
one of the POOREST parts of Hong Kong,
will NEVER be the same 
because I now see the place with
NEW EYES.

No comments: