I am learning so much about myself and
my Western culture here in Hong Kong.
Growing up in a place where there was
always plenty of room to walk,
to stand, to sit, to spread my wings -
OK maybe that's going a bit too far -
The point is -I have always had MY space
and been a bit protective of it.
and been a bit protective of it.
I haven't ever really had to
think about MY space.
think about MY space.
So WHY think about it now?
Because I am living in a place where
there is no MY space!
Personal boundaries are challenged
everywhere you go.
everywhere you go.
On the train, the sidewalk, the bus, a restaurant -
sometimes you are even required to share
your table with a total stranger.
your table with a total stranger.
MY space was even challenged at Girls' Camp.
I was curious when I saw the group of young
scouts heading down the hill toward the pavilion
where we were having craft time.
As the procession moved closer
I realized their destination point was
"our" pavilion (or MY space).
"No," I thought "surely they can't be
heading to the pavilion.
It's already PACKED with Young Women
and leaders and they have to notice
we are teaching a class. They will move on."
My thinking was wrong.
Not only did they NOT move on ...
They moved IN and carried on with their
very lively conversations -
in Chinese.
I must admit - I was impressed.
(And I'm serious.)
1) That it didn't faze the young scouts and their
leaders to be standing under the awning while
it was occupied by so many others.
They needed to get out of the rain.
And
2) Those in our group were neither offended or
annoyed.
Besides ... take a close look at them -
aren't they CUTE!
Besides ... take a close look at them -
aren't they CUTE!
LESSON LEARNED ...
I shouldn't be so worried about MY space.


No comments:
Post a Comment