Lantau Island is Hong Kong's biggest island.
Located at the center (and tippy top) of the Island is Ngong Ping. Home to the Giant Buddha and
Po Lin Monastery.
The best way to get there is by cable car.
Po Lin Monastery.
The best way to get there is by cable car.
Here we are -- waiting for our ride.
and waiting ...
And ... watching and WAITING
After an hour and a half we were ready
to board our GLASS bottomed car!!
It was an EXTREMELY strange sensation
(SCARY can be used in place of strange)
(SCARY can be used in place of strange)
to be dangling in the air - hundreds of feet up -
with, what seemed like, nothing solid beneath you!
What an AMAZING ride!!
After a 25 minute journey we could see it --
The Giant BUDDHA!
I had to keep reminding myself that I was not at EPCOT.
I was actually IN China.
The Giant Buddha is (as the pamphlet says)
"the world's tallest, outdoor, seated
bronze Buddha.
bronze Buddha.
The right hand is raised to deliver a
blessing to all."
blessing to all."
We were impressed with the six statues sitting at the feet of Buddha.
Each offering a simple gift.
A flower, a bird, a plate of peaches.
An urn, a box and a musical instrument.
A very wise Chinese man gave us an explanation.
"Each is offering a very simple but meaningful gift. Not of gold but of worth."
Po Lin is an active Monastery where Buddhist monks worship with music and prayer.
Members of the Buddhist Faith
come to burn incense and pray.
Truly AMAZING!










1 comment:
So fun to see all these pictures. I love that you all take pictures and I get to see all your adventures from everyones view, on facebook on blogs...its awesome! Loved the epcot comment I was thinking the same thing. That it looked like Epcot. Love you all. Britt
Post a Comment